Wednesday, March 5, 2008

D-League's Lasme to visit former UMass teammates ...

This news item on Stephane Lasme, former UMass forward currently on the D-League's LA D-Fenders, is from The Republican can be found at MassLive:

Ex-star Lasme to visit UMass game tonight

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

By RON CHIMELIS
rchimelis@repub.com

Rather than take the quick money available by signing to play overseas, Stephane Lasme chose to keep his NBA dreams alive.

"I'm not really an overseas type of player, and everybody I talked to said to stay here and just get experience," the 6-foot-8 former University of Massachusetts forward said yesterday. "I'm looking to become more consistent with my outside shooting."

Lasme is playing for the Los Angeles D-Fenders (23-11) in the NBA Development League. He is making a brief visit to Amherst, and will attend tonight's UMass-La Salle game at the Mullins Center.

The 2007 Atlantic 10 Conference player of the year, Lasme was Golden State's second round draft pick last June. He became the first player from the nation of Gabon to play in the NBA, but his Warriors career was over in an eyeblink.

After playing in only one game - a total of four seconds - he was cut.

"I was shocked, because they'd told me they liked me and planned to keep me for (at least) two years, but I got over it," Lasme said.

In the developmental league, Lasme is competing with other players who find themselves on the NBA fringe, hoping for another chance.

A record-setting shot-blocker at UMass, Lasme believes he will get that chance if he rounds out the rest of his game, especially offensively.

"The situation in Los Angeles is better than most (in the NBADL), even though I'm not a Hollywood type of guy," he said. "Like everyone else, I'm looking for what will be best for me, but I've improved a lot, and I know what people in the NBA are looking for."


http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/120467670396550.xml&coll=1

No comments: